White House placed on lockdown in response to protests, destruction in Washington

The anti-police protests that began in Minneapolis last week over the death of 46-year-old George Floyd in police custody have since spread to major cities across the country — including the nation’s capital.

The Hill reports that the White House has been the site of dangerous protests and even had to be put on lockdown Friday after what began as peaceful demonstrations turned destructive in Washington. Numerous buildings and monuments vandalized and several fires set around the Capitol throughout the weekend, according to The Hill.

Protests at the White House

Though things were initially peaceful, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser was eventually compelled to impose a citywide curfew, which on Sunday was set for 11 p.m. Unfortunately, that curfew was all but ignored by protesters, rioters, and other troublemakers — and the situation had already spiraled out of control prior to it even going into effect.

Buildings and monuments in and around Lafayette Park, just across the street from the White House, were vandalized, according to The Hill, and fires were reportedly set in the lobby of the AFL-CIO headquarters building, as well as the basement of the historic St. John’s Episcopal Church that has been visited by every president since it was first built in 1816.

NBC News reported that the fire in the church had been set intentionally by unknown individuals within the larger crowd of demonstrators.

Thankfully, police were able to clear the area using tear gas, allowing the fire department to get in and extinguish the growing inferno before the church was completely engulfed.

It remains to be seen just how much damage was caused by the fire, however.

Trump in a bunker

Meanwhile, at the White House, the president was briefly taken to the bunker underneath the residence on Friday night as the crowd of protesters grew increasingly violent and repeatedly clashed with Secret Service cops in riot gear just outside the fencing around the presidential home, according to the Associated Press.

Things didn’t get much better on Saturday, though the White House security team was reportedly reinforced with additional Secret Service agents, National Guard troops, and U.S. Park Police officers.

Together, the groups were apparently able to push the protesters back, further from the White House grounds.

On Sunday, with the protests quickly devolving into a destructive riot even before nightfall, the reinforced security was bolstered even further with U.S. Marshals and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents, according to the AP.

The curfew in Washington has been pushed back to 7 p.m. for Monday and Tuesday, according to Fox 5.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News