Twitter executive says Trump’s ban will remain active even if he runs for president in 2024

After being acquitted by the Senate on Saturday, former President Donald Trump has the green light to run for the White House again in 2024, at least for now. But even if that happens, he won’t be making a return to Twitter, according to company executives.

The Daily Wire reported last week that Twitter CFO Ned Segal had confirmed that Trump’s ban from the platform is permanent — and that won’t be changing, regardless of his future political plans.

“Permanently suspended”

Twitter first banned Trump’s account indefinitely on Jan. 8, two days after a violent riot at the U.S. Capitol that Democrats tried to blame the then-president for.

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company claimed at the time, as The Daily Wire reported.

“In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action,” Twitter added. “We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.”

“The way our policies work”

As speculation builds that Trump could run for president again in 2024, there’s no sign the social media company is changing its mind.

“The way our policies work, when you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform — whether you’re a commentator, you’re a CFO, or you are a former or current public official,” CFO Segal told CNBC’s Squawk Box, according to Deadline.

“Remember, our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence, and if anybody does that, we have to remove them from the service and our policies don’t allow people to come back,” he added.

A “dangerous” precedent

With its moves to ban Trump, Twitter has only added fuel to the fire among conservatives who believe Big Tech is actively censoring right-wing voices. After all, if someone as influential as Donald Trump could be kept out of the public discourse, what chance do everyday Americans have at combating suppression by these companies?

Even Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey seemed to recognize the clear problems with Trump’s ban in a statement last month.

“Having to take these actions fragment the public conversation,” he said in a tweet, according to Newsweek. “They divide us. They limit the potential for clarification, redemption, and learning. And sets a precedent I feel is dangerous: the power an individual or corporation has over a part of the global public conversation.”

Unfortunately for Dorsey, his actions speak much louder than his hollow words.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News