A new report suggests President Donald Trump is teeing up big plans to fire back at Big Tech in the wake of his permanent ban from Twitter.
According to the Daily Wire, an unnamed White House adviser was said to have told CNN on Sunday that in his final days in the Oval Office, President Trump plans to pivot the nation’s focus to what he has characterized as censorship against conservatives by Twitter and other major social media companies.
What’s the plan?
Trump was first temporarily suspended from Twitter for a 12-hour period in the wake of a deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol by a fired-up group of his supporters last week. But after that period expired and the president was back online, it only took a few tweets before he was permanently suspended from the platform over claims he “glorified” violence.
According to Axios, the president was also suspended from a long list of other prominent online entities, including Facebook, Instagram, Spotify, and Twitch, effectively killing the primary mode of communication that the president has used to reach his supporters over the past five years: social media.
Now, CNN’s report, which hasn’t been independently verified, alleges that Trump wants to use “his permanent suspension from Twitter as an opportunity to shift the narrative away from the insurrection on Capitol Hill earlier in the week,” according to the Daily Wire.
“This isn’t just about President Trump, but this is literally about the 75 million Americans [who voted for him],” the White House source reportedly told CNN.
In the wake of the extreme censorship moves by Big Tech, Trump and his inner circle made an unlikely ally in the form of the American Civil Liberties Union, which argued that while it’s tempting to think that silencing the president of the United States is the right move, it raises serious questions about the unchecked power that social media companies have, the Daily Wire noted.
A new network?
The president indeed teased in one of his last tweets that he and his team were actively negotiating plans to potentially launch a new social media network that wouldn’t partake in censorship, according to PCMag.
“We have been negotiating with various other sites, and will have a big announcement soon, while we also look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future. We will not be SILENCED!” the president reportedly wrote, shortly before he was perma-banned by Twitter.
Originally, the mega-popular alternative to Twitter, a social media site known as Parler, was rumored to be the president’s new home. That all changed this week, too, though; according to CNET, the site was first de-platformed by Google, with Apple following suit shortly after.
Serving as icing the proverbial censorship cake, Amazon removed the Parler website from its AWS servers a day later, CNET reported.
With this, it seems if Trump doesn’t follow through on his cryptic plans to launch a new platform, his 75 million supporters may be soon out of luck — and out of options.