President Donald Trump gave an in-depth description of his experience with COVID-19 in a TV interview from the White House with Fox News medical contributor Dr. Marc Siegel.
The interview, which aired Friday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” was the president’s first on-camera interview since being diagnosed with the coronavirus late last week, Fox News reported.
The president had said previously that when he was admitted to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center he “didn’t feel so good.” Siegel asked Trump what specific symptoms he experienced.
The president said fatigue was the main indicator that something was wrong.
“I didn’t feel very strong,” he said. “I didn’t feel like the president of the U.S. should feel.”
Trump said that while he did not have any trouble breathing, the weakness he experienced felt like a serious problem considering the job he has to perform every day. “I didn’t have the same energy level,” he explained. “My life is based on energy.”
— Marc Siegel MD (@DrMarcSiegel) October 10, 2020
Cleared by doctor but no debate
Trump told Siegel that his condition “could’ve led to bad things from that point,” but that he felt better immediately after receiving remdesivir, an antibody treatment from Regeneron.
The president said the treatment’s effectiveness was “miraculous,” and he wants to “send it to everybody, free of charge.”
Dr. Sean Conley, Trump’s physician, said the president has not shown any symptoms since he left the hospital on Monday and is clear to attend public events on Saturday, The Hill reported. “Since returning home, his physical exam has remained stable and devoid of any indications to suggest progression of illness,” Conley said.
Despite this fact, the Commission on Presidential Debates canceled the second debate that was scheduled for Thursday night, Fox News reported. Without consulting Trump’s doctors, the commission changed the debate to a virtual format, which Trump said he would not participate in.
Since the commission refused to delay the debate, as the Trump campaign had suggested as a compromise, the debate was canceled, leaving only one more debate between Trump and Biden before the election on Nov. 3.