Trump says no to Minnesota governor’s request for funds to rebuild after Floyd protests: Report

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is begging for the federal government’s help in the wake of destructive protests there following the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police. But President Donald Trump just said no.

According to the Washington Examiner, Walz had asked for $500 million to fix the damage inflicted on Minneapolis during the demonstrations — but in a statement, the governor’s office revealed that their request had been denied.

“The Governor is disappointed that the federal government declined his request for financial support,” the statement read in part, according to the Examiner.

It went on: “As we navigate one of the most difficult periods in our state’s history, we look for support from our federal government to help us through.”

Out of control

The death of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man who died under the knee of a white Minneapolis cop, never should have happened. But the destructive protests — and oftentimes, riots — that broke out in the wake of his death were similarly uncalled for.

Violent demonstrators ran the streets of Minneapolis for days, and completely destroyed a local police precinct in the process.

There were also numerous reports indicating that 911 operators were telling those who called that they were more or less on their own, as the mayor had told the police to stand down to protesters.

When you turn your city streets over to these criminals, you deserve exactly what you get.

“Great news”

Indeed, Walz is trying to put the pieces back together again, but Trump apparently doesn’t feel it’s his responsibility to fix the roughly 1,500 buildings in Minneapolis that were damaged during the riots.

Minnesota Rep. Tom Emmer (R) was among those telling Trump not to grant Walz’s request.

“If the federal government is expected to assist in the clean-up of these unfortunate weeks, it has an obligation to every American — prior to the release of funding — to fully understand the events which allowed for this level of destruction to occur and ensure it never happens again,” Emmer said in a letter to the president, according to the Examiner.

Trump’s decision was also applauded by South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan (R), who characterized the move as “great news” in a tweet Saturday. “Governors and Mayors who ordered police to stand down and watch their cities burn shouldn’t get a penny in taxpayer aid!” Duncan added, as the Examiner reported.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News