Trump promises ‘orderly transition,’ promises to remain active in political arena

Even before the ratification of the Electoral College vote tally earlier this week, rumors began to swirl that President Donald Trump would mount another White House bid in 2024 if he lost in November.

Now, according to a recent statement from the president, he is acknowledging the end of his presidency by promising he will not be a shrinking violet after leaving office.

“It’s only the beginning of our fight”

According to Breitbart, Trump made an announcement on Thursday in which he signaled that his political ambitions are far from over.

“I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted,” he said, conceding that his administration will end with an “orderly transition” and the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden later this week.

Nevertheless, Trump vowed to remain in the political trenches even in his post-presidency.

“While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!” he tweeted.

According to Breitbart, Deputy White House chief of staff Dan Scavino shared the statement, since Twitter had temporarily suspended the president’s account in the wake of a riot at the U.S. Capitol building on Wednesday.

The outlet later suspended Trump permanently.

“He remains in strong contention”

As for his promise to remain active in the partisan fray, former acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said in November that Trump would “absolutely” stay in politics and would “likely” run again.

Of course, Mulvaney became one of a growing number of Trump administration officials to announce their resignations in the wake of Wednesday’s civil unrest. Furthermore, officials on both sides of the political aisle are calling for him to resign or be removed from office, reports note.

Despite the negative impact those departures might appear to have on his future political ambitions, the Washington Examiner indicated that this might not be the case, reporting that “GOP strategists in Rust Belt states that fueled the 45th president’s rise say he remains in strong contention for their support four years hence if he mounts a third White House bid.”

A number of polls taken prior to the Capitol siege indicated that Trump would be the favored candidate in his party if he runs again in 2024. It’s too early to tell whether the events of this week will alter those sentiments.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News