President Donald Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis last week threw the remainder of the White House race into a flurry of speculation, particularly regarding whether an upcoming presidential debate would be postponed or canceled.
While that chatter continues ahead of a match-up initially scheduled for Oct. 15 in Miami, Florida, Trump has made it clear that he intends to be there, as reported by the Daily Caller.
“It will be great!”
The president’ss remarks came in a tweet on Tuesday, the day after he returned to the White House from a weekend stay at Walter Reed Medical Center for treatment of COVID-19.
“I am looking forward to the debate on the evening of Thursday, October 15th in Miami,” he wrote. “It will be great!”
That might come as unwelcome news to Democratic nominee Joe Biden and his supporters, some of whom were urging him to pull out of the remaining debates even before Trump announced his positive test result.
For his part, the former vice president said this week that the White House outbreak that has infected the president and multiple others in his orbit constitutes a “very serious problem” that needs to be addressed before a second debate can go forward, as reported by The Telegraph.
“If he still has COVID, we shouldn’t have a debate,” Biden told reporters during a campaign stop in Pennsylvania on Tuesday. “I’m not sure what President Trump is all about now. I don’t know what his status is.”
“Canceling the rest of the debates”
Nevertheless, Biden said he is “looking forward to being able to debate him” provided “all the protocols are followed.”
The Trump team responded by brushing off Biden’s concerns.
“President Trump will be healthy and will be there,” campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said, according to the Telegraph. “There’s no getting out of this one for Biden, and his protectors in the media can’t cover for him.”
The day after last week’s debate, Trump told a crowd in Wisconsin that he was under the belief that Biden is “canceling the rest of the debates,” asserting that the Democratic nominee had lost the first matchup of the general election.
With about a week left until the town hall-style debate is set to take place in Miami, it remains to be seen whether the event will proceed as planned. If it is ultimately postponed or canceled, however, the cause might not be the president’s health.