One of the up and coming names in Spanish entertainment lost her life in an absolutely horrific accident this past weekend.
While performing, Joana Sainz, who was only 30 years old, died after a pyrotechnic device malfunctioned in the middle of her performance, the U.K’s Daily Mirror reported.
Fireworks Display Gone Wrong
Sainz was singing one of her songs when the malfunction happened.
While she was dancing close to the device, it appeared to blow up, and Sainz dropped to the floor. Obviously in pain, members of her band rushed over to tend to her.
According to local reports, Sainz was hit in the stomach by the explosion.
There were reportedly several nurses and a doctor in the crowd, who rushed the stage in an effort to help the wounded singer.
Sainz was soon taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead only minutes later. The tragic incident was caught on video by someone in the audience.
İspanyol şarkıcı ve dansçı Joana Sainz, konser sırasında karnına havai fişek isabet etmesi sonucu hayatını kaybetti. O anları, seyircilerden biri kaydetti. pic.twitter.com/KhwZ2h2JYc
— Vaziyet (@vaziyetcomtr) September 2, 2019
The promoter of the group, Isidro Lopez, stated that the device had been in use for about five years, and there had never been any problems with it.
It is designed to burn for about 15-20 seconds, but it clearly malfunctioned here.
Outpouring of Affection
As word traveled about the tragedy, an outpouring of affection rained down on social media.
Additionally, the city where the tragedy took place extended its condolences to the family of Sainz.
Rest in peace, Joana. Your fans will miss you.