The Daily Caller just put out a report highlighting a series of false statements that Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, spat out about a recent drone strike carried out by the Biden administration in Afghanistan.
Milley’s comments came during the Sept. 1 press conference held alongside Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin. According to the Daily Caller, all-in-all, Milley lied about five times in the short span of about a minute.
The first falsity from the general reportedly had to do with the target of the drone strike and the engagement criteria. According to the Daily Caller, Milley said:
We had very good intelligence that ISIS-K was preparing a specific type vehicle at a specific type location. We monitored that through various means and all of the engagement criteria were being met. We went through the same level of rigor that we’ve done for years and we took a strike.
In the second statement, Milley declared the strike a success. “We know that there was secondary explosions,” he said.
“Because there was secondary explosions, there’s a reasonable conclusion to be made that there was explosives in that vehicle. The third thing, as we know from a variety of other means, that at least one of those people that were killed was an ISIS facilitator,” he added.
On the topic collateral damage, Milley doubled down on touting the Biden administration’s success.
According to the Daily Caller, he said:
So were there others killed? Yes, there are others killed. Who they are, we don’t know. We’ll try to sort through all of that. But we believe that the procedures at this point — I don’t want to influence the outcome of an investigation — but at this point, we think that the procedures were correctly followed and it was a righteous strike.
But as the Daily Caller notes, just about nothing Milley said was actually true. It has all been contradicted by a New York Times report, the details of which were later confirmed by the Biden administration.
First off, Milley was wrong about the target. Rather than an ISIS-K member, the car was actually carrying an Afghan aid worker and no terrorists. And not only did the drone strike take out this innocent man, but it also took out some nine other civilians, including 7 children. No terrorists, ISIS or otherwise, were harmed in the attack.
Milley was also wrong about the secondary explosion. The idea was that a secondary explosion would prove that there were terrorists in the car with bombs getting ready to carry out an attack. But The New York Times reports that there was no evidence of a secondary explosion, and that, if anything, it may have been water that was in the car.
Lastly, there has been reason to call into the question whether, as Milley claimed, the drone strike actually did follow proper protocol. Gen. Kenneth McKenzie admitted to reporters last week that the drone strike was carried out under “extreme time pressure,” as the Daily Caller reported.
Despite all of these lies, as well as the fierce criticism that Milley has received for his role in the drone strike as well as the botched withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, President Joe Biden is letting Milley keep his job. Where’s the accountability in Washington?