UK police say ‘no further action will be taken’ in probe of sexual assault allegations against Prince Andrew

The investigation into allegations of rape against Britain’s Prince Andrew has just been abandoned under what can only be described as fishy circumstances.

According to the U.K.’s Daily Mail, the Scotland Yard has announced that “no further action will be taken” with regard to Andrew and claims that he sexually assaulted a then-17-year-old.

According to Reuters, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who is now 38, “says she was forced to have sex with [Andrew] at the London home of a friend of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.”

But the Met Police will apparently take no further action taken with regard to claims relating to the deceased Epstein, who had been accused of trafficking minors to the United Kingdom.

Deny, deny, deny

Prince Andrew, for his part, has vehemently denied the allegation from day one.

He’s currently facing a civil lawsuit here in the United States, reports note, as Giuffre has accused him of “rape in the first degree.”

Andrew and his legal team are reportedly working to get the case dismissed.

They’re done investigating

It appears that U.K. police opted to abandon their investigation of Andrew following an exchange with Giuffre, but they’ve been notably hesitant to press it from the start.

Initially, Scotland Yard examined Giuffre’s allegations, but it stopped short of commencing a formal investigation. Later, the agency decided that matter would be best dealt with by authorities in the United States.

After Giuffre filed her suit, however, the Met Police decided to, once again, review the woman’s claim. The commissioner said at the time that the move was necessary because “no one is above the law.”

Just on Sunday night, however, Scotland Yard changed its mind. According to the Daily Mail, a spokesperson said:

As a matter of procedure, MPS officers reviewed a document released in August 2021 as part of a US civil action. This review has concluded and we are taking no further action.

What exactly that review showed is unclear, as the spokesperson did not provide specifics. Either way, however, it looks like Andrew is now off the hook — at least over in the United Kingdom. Only time will tell what comes of the investigations and legal proceedings currently ongoing on our side of the pond.

Latest News