President Donald Trump announced during an interview with Fox News host Maria Bartiromo on Sunday that he has “tested totally negative” for the coronavirus.
According to Fox, White House physician Sean Conley has not yet released a statement confirming the news.
Conley, did, however, release a statement Saturday indicating that Trump is no longer at risk of transmitting the virus to others.
“Now at day 10 from symptom onset, fever-free for well over 24 hours and all symptoms improved, the assortment of advanced diagnostic tests obtained reveal there is no longer evidence of actively replicating virus,” Conley said of Trump, according to NBC News. “Moving forward, I will continue to monitor him clinically as he returns to an active schedule.”
Fighting the battles
It seems an active schedule is exactly what President Trump has in mind.
“I’m going to be out in Florida tomorrow, working very hard because this is an election we have to win,” he told Bartiromo on Sunday, according to Fox.
“The president is in very good shape to fight the battles,” he added of himself.
COVID-19 at the White House
Trump was first diagnosed with the coronavirus earlier this month, and had to be hospitalized less than 48 hours later, the Associated Press reported. But after a weekend stay at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in nearby Bethesda, Maryland, the president returned to the White House — and he seemed as energetic as ever.
I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2020
First Lady Melania Trump also tested positive for the virus, and has reportedly remained quarantined at the White House. According to CBS News, the first lady said in an update last week that she is experiencing “mild symptoms but overall feeling good. I am looking forward to a speedy recovery,” she added.
The first couple join some 7.8 million Americans who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 so far this year, according to The New York Times.
Nearly 215,000 have died.