Police confirm suspect in Nashville bombing died in the blast: Reports

CBS News’ Catherine Herridge said police had confirmed Sunday that human remains found at the site of the Christmas Day bombing in Nashville, Tennessee were those of the suspect in the blast, Anthony Quinn Warner.

According to an early report from the Associated Press, “[p]olice were responding to a report of shots fired Friday when they encountered [an] RV blaring a recorded warning that a bomb would detonate in 15 minutes.” The RV later exploded, but the blast reportedly killed only one: Warner, who was later confirmed to have been the owner of the vehicle, according to Fox News.

At this point, authorities don’t believe any other suspects were involved, Fox reported.

Suspect dies in bombing

Thus far, not much is known about Warner. According to Fox News, public records showed the 63-year-old from Antioch, Tennessee had some experience in both alarms and electronics.

On Saturday, law enforcement officials spent several hours searching through Warner’s Antioch residence. Fox reports that the RV used in the explosion could be seen on the property over the span of several years on Google Earth.

Authorities are also looking into Warner’s finances and internet history, Fox noted. They are said to be investigating in particular a recent deed transfer of a home in suburban Nashville.

According to a report from the AP, Warner “was not known to law enforcement before the Christmas blast.”

The probe will take time

A potential motive for the bombing remains unclear, according to the AP.

Speaking Sunday, the FBI’s special agent in charge in Memphis, Douglas Korneski, said a complete investigation is going to take some time.

“Our investigative team is turning over every stone,” he said, according to The New York Times, “to make sure we know as many details as possible to answer the question of who is responsible for this, and also to understand why did they do this.”

In the meantime, the city’s police chief says “Nashville is considered safe,” the AP reported. “There are no known threats against this city,” the chief stressed Monday.

Latest News