Capitol Police arrest, charge armed driver of ‘suspicious vehicle’ parked near Supreme Court

The Supreme Court, once a widely revered and venerated American institution, is now viewed with some measure of distrust thanks largely to constant criticism and partisan accusations from Democrats that are echoed and amplified by the biased media.

That may have contributed to what appears to have been a possible armed attack against the Supreme Court on Wednesday that the U.S. Capitol Police seem to have thwarted, the Conservative Brief reported.

One man was arrested and now faces criminal charges after a search of his vehicle revealed multiple firearms and ammunition that were unregistered and illegal under the strict gun control laws imposed on the Capitol Grounds and Washington D.C. more broadly.

Streets blocked off amid investigation of “suspicious vehicle”

Business Insider reported that the incident occurred Wednesday afternoon after Capitol Police noticed a “suspicious vehicle” that was “illegally parked” near the Supreme Court building.

An 80-year-old man from Georgia was ultimately arrested and charged, while two other individuals who were with him, a man and a woman, were briefly detained but not arrested or charged with any crimes.

The Capitol Police first informed the public of what happened with a thread of tweets posted to its official Twitter account just before 4 pm ET, even as its investigation of the “suspicious vehicle” remained ongoing.

Those tweets later informed the public of several street closures in the area as part of the investigation, and the final update announced that “The suspect is facing three charges — Unregistered Firearm, Unregistered Ammunition, and Carrying a Pistol without a License.”

Arrested driver identified

Later, the Capitol Police issued a press release to more formally announce the arrest and charges against the driver of the “suspicious vehicle” — a small white van — after he had admitted to having firearms in the vehicle.

A search of that van turned up two handguns and a shotgun, presumably with ammunition, given the charges, as well as “a pipe and containers” that triggered a “thorough search” of the vehicle by the USCP Hazardous Incident Response Division — which also likely explains why some streets in the area had been temporarily shut down.

The individual charged in the matter was identified as 80-year-old Tony Payne of Georgia, who along with the other two individuals who were briefly detained but later released claimed to have been there to “deliver documents to the U.S. Supreme Court.”

There is no word as of yet about what, exactly, those supposed documents pertained to, what motivated the three individuals, and whether this incident was an actual potential armed assault on the high court or simply a mistake and poor judgment on the part of the driver to bring weapons and ammunition into the exceptionally anti-gun jurisdictions of the Capitol Grounds and Washington D.C.

Latest News