Oklahoma judge blocks effort to halt Trump rally planned for Tulsa this weekend

President Donald Trump faced an immediate backlash following his campaign’s announcement of a large rally planned for Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Saturday.

But after leftists put forth a last-ditch effort to stop the event by means of a court order, an Oklahoma judge said no to their request, according to Politico. At least for now, the rally will go on as planned.

“Unavoidable attendant deaths”

Many critics are concerned that close quarters among the thousands expected to attend could lead to a new spike in local coronavirus cases even as numbers trend upward across the state.

Nevertheless, the president has made it clear that he intends to hold his next trademark rally on schedule after a months-long hiatus caused by the global health crisis.

The rally previously caused controversy unrelated to the virus when some black leaders pointed out that its original date fell on Juneteenth, a date set aside to celebrate the end of slavery in America. Trump responded to the backlash and decided to push the rally back by one day.

Still, two local organizations, the Greenwood Cultural Center and the John Hope Franklin Center for Reconciliation, attempted to block the rally altogether with their request for a court order.

“If ASM Global moves forward with the event without adequate review, planning, training, protective equipment, and safeguards, cases of COVID-19 — and the unavoidable attendant deaths — will rise,” their complaint asserts, according to Politico.

“Trying to Covid Shame us”

As it stands, the state government has allowed individual businesses to set their own standards for public events. Trump’s rally reportedly meets all of the standards set by the BOK Center, which is hosting Saturday’s event.

Though attendees must sign a waiver absolving the campaign of liability for any illness or injury resulting from their presence at the rally, campaign manager Brad Parscale said organizers will be taking some safety precautions, as CNBC noted.

“The Far Left Fake News Media, which had no Covid problem with the Rioters [and] Looters destroying Democrat run cities, is trying to Covid Shame us on our big Rallies,” Trump himself tweeted on Monday. “Won’t work!”

His Democratic rivals might have preferred to prevent any Trump rallies at all in the months leading up to Election Day. With the decision in Oklahoma this week, however, it appears the campaign events are set to go forward as planned.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News