National Guard troops say they were forced out of US Capitol: ‘They had no further use for us’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was just embroiled in yet another nasty scandal.

The Democrat and other leaders in Congress, as well as the Capitol Police, are taking flak after a Politico report first revealed Thursday evening that National Guard troops stationed in Washington amid threats of violence following a riot there earlier this month had been “forced to vacate” the U.S. Capitol.

Instead of taking their breaks in the Capitol building, the Guardsmen were directed to nearby parking garages that reportedly had limited space and bathrooms.

“Yesterday dozens of senators and congressmen walked down our lines taking photos, shaking our hands and thanking us for our service,” one Guardsmen told Politico. “Within 24 hours, they had no further use for us and banished us to the corner of a parking garage. We feel incredibly betrayed.”

“No logistical plan”

The Daily Wire’s Ryan Saavedra reported that the order banishing the Guardsmen from the Capitol building came from Pelosi herself. “But there was no logistical plan provided by the Speaker’s office on where the service members would sleep,” a source reportedly told the journalist.

According to Politico, a spokesperson for the National Guard said Capitol Police had asked the troops to relocate.

But the acting Capitol Police chief denied those reports. “I want to assure everyone that, with the exception of specific times on Inauguration Day itself while the swearing-in ceremonies were underway, the United States Capitol police did not instruct the National Guard to vacate the Capitol Building facilities,” Yogananda Pittman said, according to NBC News.

“It’s outrageous”

Less than three hours after Politico’s initial report was published, lawmakers had vowed that the troops would be allowed to return.

“If this is true, it’s outrageous. I will get to the bottom of this,” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) tweeted in response to the news, according to Politico.

“Just made a number of calls and have been informed Capitol Police have apologized to the Guardsmen and they will be allowed back into the complex tonight,” Sen. Tammy Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat and military veteran, said, as Politico reported. “I’ll keep checking to make sure they are.”

According to NBC, Duckworth also said that “Capitol Police had apologized to the Guard personnel, who had been allowed back into the complex Thursday night.”

But the damage had already been done. And if the first few days of President Joe Biden’s administration have been any indication, the disgusting posturing by the politicians in Washington won’t be coming to an end any time soon.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News