This story was originally published by the WND News Center.
An Emmy-winning network producer for ABC News who went “missing” after an FBI raid on his home has now been seen in public for the first time since his vanishing, apparently living with his mother at her townhouse in McLean, Virginia.
The Daily Mail reports: “James Gordon Meek has emerged from hiding – but refuses to discuss the mysterious FBI raid that brought his storied journalism career to an abrupt halt.”
The paper also says Meek “ducked out of a glittering award ceremony held one week later where he was due to collect a prize for his coverage of Joe Biden’s chaotic military withdrawal from Afghanistan.”
The 53-year-old reportedly told the James W. Foley Legacy Foundation he could not accept the award.
In April, heavily-armed federal law-enforcement agents descended on Meek’s penthouse apartment in Arlington, Virginia.
He subsequently resigned abruptly from ABC News and withdrew from participation in a book he was writing about Biden and Afghanistan.
His friends say he was “AWOL for the past six months” after moving out of his upscale penthouse at Siena Park in Arlington.
“I sent him a text to ask if he was OK. He said he wasn’t able to talk about what was going on, on the advice of his lawyer,” a confused friend told DailyMail.com. “That’s the last I heard from him.”
The paper noted: “The April 27 swoop sparked fears Meek was being targeted for his trailblazing journalism which has exposed shocking military cover-ups, friendly fire deaths, and foiled terror plots.”
“Independent observers believe the raid is among the first – and quite possibly, the first – to be carried out on a journalist by the Biden administration,” Rolling Stone reported.
The magazine says the FBI spent 10 minutes inside Meek’s apartment, finding a laptop computer containing classified information, citing “sources familiar with the matter.”
But colleagues of Meek say it doesn’t add up, especially since ABC has not made any legal intervention, nor voiced its support for its own correspondent who left for “personal reasons.”
“If he did have anything like that, classified documents or similar materials, that would presumably be for a story he was working on,” a former colleague told the Mail.
“This is a guy who has done a lot of good in the world. ABC would be firmly in his corner if it was for legitimate journalism. None of it adds up.”
Other friends said there were no outward signs of unrest in Meek’s life before he vanished.
“There are certain red flags you might look for if someone is going off the rails. One of those might be failing to hold down a job but James had been at ABC for almost a decade,” the friend told DailyMail.com.
“He’s a good person, he maintained important relationships. It just seemed like James was doing the best work of his life. He was finally getting the recognition he deserved. That’s why none of this makes sense.”
The U.S. Justice Department has been silent on its reason for targeting Meek, but spokeswoman Dena Iverson released a statement indicating FBI agents acted lawfully.
“While the department cannot speak to any specific case or activity, the Department strictly adheres to the attorney general’s July 2021 memorandum prohibiting the use of the compulsory process with regards to members of the news media acting within the scope of newsgathering activities,” she told the Daily Beast.
A promotional profile for Meek which since has been scrubbed from the internet read: “James Gordon Meek is a towering 6’7″, gregarious punk rock art student-turned-investigative reporter.”
“James is known for news scoops such as the killing of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and the hostage rescue of an American in Nigeria, as well as his deep dive investigations of friendly fire incidents, military cover-ups and cases of Americans held hostage by terrorist groups and rogue regimes.”
But Meek was not mentioned at the May 4 award ceremony, named in honor of journalist James Foley who was murdered by ISIS.
“The James W. Foley Legacy Foundation had planned to honor James Gordon Meek with its 2022 World Press Freedom Award for his years of foreign correspondence and his efforts to evacuate Afghan special operators and their families after the fall of Afghanistan in August 2021,” a spokeswoman told DailyMail.com.