President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign has announced multiple legal challenges to Tuesday’s election, though it suffered a setback with one ruling on Thursday.
According to the Daily Caller, a Michigan judge has rejected the Trump campaign lawsuit seeking a halt to ballot counting until state election officials grant observers “meaningful access” to the process.
An “extremely tight” race
According to Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien, denial of “meaningful access” to GOP observers has taken place at multiple polling locations across Michigan.
“As votes in Michigan continue to be counted, the presidential race in the state remains extremely tight as we always knew it would be,” he said, as the Daily Caller reported.
Stepien went on to argue that the “campaign has not been provided with meaningful access to numerous counting locations to observe the opening of ballots and the counting process, as guaranteed by Michigan law.”
As a result, the campaign has filed suit in the state, specifically seeking the cessation of vote-counting until such access had been granted. That request, however, was denied by Michigan Court of Appeals Judge Cynthia Stevens.
Her rationale for rejecting the lawsuit was straightforward: Meaningful access is now unavailable because the votes have already been counted.
“We want all voting to stop”
The Trump campaign presented its evidence in the form of an affidavit containing, in part, a poll worker’s claim that she was told to change the date on a ballot allegedly received late.
Stevens rejected the arguments put forth in the suit, declaring the testimony as “hearsay.” Meanwhile, Michigan has been widely called for Democratic nominee Joe Biden with 99% of the vote counted.
Michigan is just one of the states, including Pennsylvania, where the Trump campaign has launched legal challenges to the methods and results of the election.
As Fox News reported, one suit in Montgomery County, a suburb of Philadelphia, alleged that roughly 12,000 ballots had been opened prematurely and in violation of applicable election laws.
In an early-morning White House briefing on Wednesday, Trump expressed confidence in his eventual re-election but signaled a protracted legal battle could come first, adding: “We will be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop.”