Biden’s dog Major involved in second biting incident at the White House

President Joe Biden’s 3-year-old German Shepherd, Major, recently returned to the White House after being sent back home to Delaware following a biting incident earlier in March.

It appears the brief time away from the White House failed to sufficiently temper the dog’s behavior, however, as reports indicate that he has been involved in yet another biting incident on the grounds of the presidential residence, The Daily Wire reported.

The first such incident involved a member of the White House security team while this second occurrence reportedly involved a National Park Service employee who was said to have required medical attention in the aftermath.

Second biting incident

The National Park Service employee was reportedly bitten while Major was being walked on the White House South Lawn.

Major was on a leash, a change from earlier when he and his older canine sibling, 13-year-old Champ, were permitted to roam the White House grounds off-leash.

According to First Lady Jill Biden’s spokesperson, Michael LaRosa, Major is “still adjusting to his new surroundings.” LaRosa acknowledged, “Yes, Major nipped someone on a walk. Out of an abundance of caution, the individual was seen by (White House Medical Unit) and then returned to work without injury.”

Sent home for “training”

In a mid-March interview with ABC News‘ George Stephanopoulos, Biden defended his beloved rescue pup Major and clarified that the dog hadn’t been “banished” from the White House following the initial March 8 incident. Instead, he had been sent back to Delaware temporarily to receive additional behavioral “training.”

Similar to the current explanation that Major is “still adjusting” to the constant hustle and bustle of the White House, Biden said Major was actually a “sweet dog” that was well-liked by “85%” of those at the White House, and defended his biting a security agent as being a poor reaction to being surprised.

That was in line with the explanation provided by White House press secretary Jen Psaki at that time, who said Major had been “surprised by an unfamiliar person and reacted in a way that resulted in a minor injury to the individual, which was handled by the White House Medical unit with no further treatment needed.”

In the end, both Major and Champ were sent back to Delaware for more training to be better accustomed to their new surroundings, and the dogs had just returned to the White House about a week ago, according to Business Insider.

It remains unclear if this second biting incident signals a set-back in Major’s training and will result in him being sent back to Delaware once again for more work on his behavioral skills.

Latest News