‘I am taking the red hat off’: Kanye West walks back support for Trump, announces White House bid

A former fan of President Donald Trump is no longer on the Trump Train.

Though he indicated his support for Trump as recently as last year, Kanye West has confirmed that he’s taking off his “MAGA” hat and making his own bid for the White House this year, Fox News reported Wednesday.

“I am taking the red hat off,” the rapper told Forbes in an interview shared by Fox.

Ally turned enemy

It seems West’s support for Trump waned only recently. According to Fox’s report, West lost faith in the president when he “caught wind that he hid in the bunker.”

That remark apparently came in reference to the Secret Service moving Trump to a bunker under the White House in late May amid violent protests that broke out in D.C. after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. According to The New York Times, “[h]undreds of protesters were gathering outside the gates, shouting curses at President Trump and in some cases throwing bricks and bottles.”

For the record, moving to a bunker is never a president’s decision, but rather, one made by the Secret Service to protect the commander-in-chief. It wouldn’t have mattered who was sitting in the Oval Office that day — even if it was West himself.

As The New York Times reported:

[B]y nightfall, with hundreds still in the streets, the scene turned more volatile as crowds surged forward against lines of riot police with plastic shields as the two sides vied for control of Lafayette Square across from the White House. Protesters threw water bottles, set off fireworks and burned a pile of wood and at least one car.

Running for president

However misguided, West’s perception of Trump’s cowardice left him to consider Joe Biden — but according to Fox, the rapper says the former VP offers nothing  “special” to voters. Believing himself out of options, West decided to make a run for the presidency himself.

He tweeted on Independence Day:

Of course, West’s agenda isn’t entirely clear, and Fox reports that he hasn’t yet filed the required paperwork to run, but the rapper says he’s all in for 2020.

Only time will tell if anyone actually takes his campaign seriously.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook
[ci-popup]

Latest News