Fox News executives issued a statement condemning the Antifa protesters that targeted Fox News host Tucker Carlson and his family this past week. “The incident that took place at Tucker’s home last night was reprehensible,” wrote the network’s CEO Suzanne Scott and president Jay Wallace.
Carlson family mobbed
It was this past Wednesday evening, while Carlson was at away at work, that Antifa protesters besieged his house, repeatedly calling him a “racist scumbag.” According to reports, the group used a bullhorn and banged on the door while shouting insults and threats.
“Tucker Carlson, we will fight!” they chanted. “We know where you sleep at night!”
Although Carlson was not home at the time, his wife was — alone. Fearing a home invasion, she called 911 and hid in the kitchen pantry.
“She had been in the kitchen alone getting ready to go to dinner and she heard pounding on the front door and screaming,” Carlson told the Washington Post. “Someone started throwing himself against the front door and actually cracked the front door.”
At one point during the incident, which was filmed by the protestors, one woman mentioned a pipe bomb, likely referring to the recent mailbombing incident, in which pipe bombs were sent to prominent Democrats.
The following day, Fox’s Scott and Wallace issued a strongly worded statement in condemnation of the group’s tactics.
“The incident that took place at Tucker’s home last night was reprehensible,” they wrote. “The violent threats and intimidation tactics toward him and his family are completely unacceptable.”
“We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view,” Scott and Wallace continued. “Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation. Those of us in the media and in politics bear a special obligation to all Americans, to find common ground.”
Not backing down
Carlson, in his conversation with the Washington Post, expressed the fear that the incident has brought to his family. “How can you go out for dinner and leave the kids at home at this point? If they’re talking about pipe bombs … how do you live like that?” he asked.
Despite this, Carlson stated that he will not back down to the mob. “I’m not going to be bullied and intimidated,” he said.
It is becoming increasingly important to emphasize that violence is not the answer to political discontent. If those instigating such methods, such as the mainstream media, do not get this message across, dark times are ahead.
And one way of getting the situation under control, as Fox News’ statement pointed out, is to look for common ground and to find a way to handle our political differences with respect and civility towards one another.