Report: Fake university targeting illegal immigrants was created by Obama administration – not Trump
Progressives who decried a fake university Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) used to target and subsequently arrest illegal immigrant students as a Trump administration move apparently didn’t realize that the university was founded in 2015, before Donald Trump was even elected, according to Fox News.
Hundreds of students paid thousands of dollars a year to enroll in Farmington University, knowing it wasn’t a real higher learning institution. Instead, they were seeking a way to get student visas that would allow them to stay in the country legally.
Because Farmington was a fraud, the students were actually not in the country legally, and at least 250 were arrested by ICE for their actions.
Eight recruiters who participated in the fraud were also arrested and are now serving jail terms.
Leftists were outraged by the news. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Alyssa Milano shared their disgust on Twitter, with Warren calling the fake university “appalling” and Milano tweeting, “OH MY GOD” with a link to the story.
For her part, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) decried critics who called her “radical” for opposing increased funding for border security measures.
Earlier this year, Congress rushed to approve BILLIONS more $ for ICE + CBP.
I saw members voting YES w/o even a summary of the bill. Nobody cared then how we’d pay for it.
Now ICE is setting up fake universities to trap students.
Yet we were called radical for opposing it.
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 27, 2019
No one on the left seemed to notice that Obama’s administration was actually responsible for starting the program.
Obama’s “paper chase”
Farmington University began as part of the “Paper Chase” program — intended to catch recruiters who participated in fraud schemes around immigration. It later expanded to include arresting the fraudulent students and detaining and/or deporting them.
A full 80% of the fake students who were arrested left the country voluntarily after their arrests. The other 20% received an order for removal, contested that removal, or filed for relief from the order.
It’s the latest example of liberals blaming Trump for something Obama actually did — like Obama’s family separation policy that ended up with children “in cages.” But no one on the left seemed to have a problem with it until they thought Trump was responsible.
I don’t know what’s more delicious: the irony or the hypocrisy.