Ex-NFL player dies in police custody days after initial arrest

A former NFL player known for his short time with the New Orleans Saints died Monday, just two days after he was arrested by police following a high-speed pursuit.

According to People magazine, the family of Glenn Foster Jr. is looking for answers after the 31-year-old died in police custody.

He had been charged with “reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, and attempting to elude police” after a car chase Friday, People reported. According to the Washington Examiner, police said he was traveling 90 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was reported to have hit 100 mph amid the pursuit that ensued.

“We want justice”

Reports indicated Foster got into multiple physical altercations while being held at the Pickens County Jail in Alabama. In at least one instance, he injured a deputy who was trying to put him in handcuffs, People said.

According to the Examiner, the former footballer died on the way to a hospital. Reports noted that he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder some 10 years earlier, but it’s unclear what caused his death.

An autopsy is pending. In the meantime, Foster’s parents say they want accountability for what happened. They’ve suggested that life-saving medical treatment may have been delayed unjustly.

“We want justice for our son,” his father said. “It’s unfair. It’s inhumane. It’s just not right.” His mother opined:

I can’t get my son back, but we want whoever is responsible to pay for this.

“Beyond words”

The local police chief, Richard Black, has expressed remorse for the situation, which he said is being investigated.

“This is not a situation that anyone wants to be in,” he said, according to the Examiner. “It’s really beyond words. Police do not want any problems, but some things were beyond our control.”

“He was healthy when we left him at the jail,” Black added, according to ESPN.

ESPN reports that Foster “played two seasons for the Saints at defensive end, appearing in 17 games in 2013 and 2014.” According to People, he was also facing charges of assault and third-degree battery for his fights while in police custody.

Further details regarding his death remained unclear even days later.

Latest News