Fox is calling it quits on the Jussie Smollett drama.
Season 6 will be Empire’s final season, and there are currently “no plans” to bring back Jussie Smollett’s character, Fox announced Monday.
After the secret “deal” that was worked out with Smollett, it was rumored that the network might bring the disgraced actor back on the show at some point during Season 6.
Asked if the rumors were true, Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier said there were “no plans” to bring Smollett back, though he didn’t rule it out.
“At this point, we have no plans for that,” Collier said. “The writer’s room for next season hasn’t even gathered yet.
Season 5 only recently finished airing, and Smollett’s character “Jamal” had been written out of the storyline for the last few episodes due to the actor’s attempted hate crime hoax in January.
Going Out in a Blaze of Glory
After revealing that Season 6 will, in fact, be the last season of the show, Collier stated the network will do its best to make the last season an epic one.
Collier stated, “We’re turning the final season of Empire into a large television event.”
“If you look at what we’re doing with Empire… we really are trying to go out guns a-blazing.”
Collier went on to say the show has had an incredible run.
He also stated that by ending the show this way, fans will get storylines wrapped up and be able to get closure.
While Fox is putting some pretty heavy lipstick on this pig, there is little doubt that the Smollett debacle sealed the fate of the show.