San Fran DA refuses to publicly release bodycam footage or 911 audio in Pelosi assault incident

Due in large part to faulty initial reports, ever-changing updates, and general distrust of the media, there is plenty of skepticism and unanswered questions about what, exactly, went down at the Pelosi residence in San Francisco, California, last Friday.

Much of that could be dispelled by the public release of footage from officer-worn bodycams and security cameras, but the San Francisco district attorney made it clear this week that she has no intention to allow the public to see that footage, the Daily Wire reported.

Rather ironically, that stance will only further fuel the increasingly wild and speculative theories about what occurred that have emerged in the absence of accurate and verifiable information about the violent incident in which an alleged home intruder assaulted Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

No additional information to be released

According to the Daily Mail, San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins made it clear on Thursday that she had no plans to release any additional information about the attack on Pelosi beyond what had already been revealed in court documents — which would foreclose the public release of bodycam or security camera footage.

“Mr. Pelosi opened the door, they were both holding a hammer and the police observed Mr. DePape pull that hammer away and then strike Mr. Pelosi,” Jenkins said.

She then added, “That is the most that we’re going to say at this point. Our job is not to try this case in the public or in the press. It’s to try it in a courtroom.”

DA says no public interest in release of footage

DA Jenkins said something remarkably similar just one day earlier during an interview Wednesday with CNN host Wolf Blitzer when she confirmed that the Pelosi family had been allowed to listen to audio recordings and view bodycam footage of the incident but rejected the idea that it was in the “public interest” to provide the same access to everybody else, according to the Washington Examiner.

Blitzer cited a report from his own network about a meeting between the Pelosi family and the DA’s office, and Jenkins confirmed, “That meeting is happening today, so limited members of that family are able to view that footage so that they can have certain questions in their mind answered. But it’s a very limited number of family members, and that should be going on as we speak.”

The CNN host then asked if there was a “public interest” in releasing the 911 call audio and bodycam footage from officers who responded to the incident, but Jenkins replied, “No, you know, my job, Wolf, is to make sure that we protect the state of this investigation and the successful future of this prosecution.”

“So, for us, revealing that evidence through the media is just not what we think is appropriate,” she added. “We want to make sure that this individual is held accountable for these egregious acts. So, for us, we’re going to make sure that we limit the exposure of the evidence as much as possible in order to get that done.”

Lack of transparency and disregard for the public

This blatant dismissal of the “public interest” in seeing and hearing the purported evidence in the Pelosi incident is nothing short of a display of utter contempt for transparency and a complete disregard for the numerous unanswered questions that many Americans have about what actually occurred.

The district attorney does not have the final say in this matter, however, and it is quite possible that a court, likely in response to Freedom of Information Act requests from media organizations or concerned citizens, will order Jenkins to publicly release the 911 audio and bodycam footage.

Latest News