Dismissing coronavirus concerns, Trump says he will not call off Tulsa rally

As protests and riots raged in dozens of cities nationwide in response to alleged police brutality, those on the left and in the media said little about the risks posed to protesters — and those they come in contact with — amid the coronavirus pandemic. But when President Donald Trump announced that he’d be moving forward with plans to host a campaign rally in Tulsa this weekend, critics pounced.

Now, the president has made clear that he’s saying no to leftists’ hypocritical demands. According to Breitbart, Trump indicated in a tweet Monday that he will not call off his Saturday rally in Tulsa over concerns about COVID-19.

The president wrote:

The show must go on

The president had announced earlier that nearly 1 million of his supporters had requested tickets for the Saturday rally in Oklahoma, as Breitbart noted.

The venue where the event is slated to be held only holds around 20,000, however, as The New York Times has reported.

Still, that hasn’t stopped many from staunchly opposing Trump’s plans. According to Breitbart, an editorial published by the local newspaper Tulsa World cited ongoing issues regarding both the pandemic and racial tensions in the city, arguing that it was the “wrong time” and the “wrong place” for the president to hold a rally.

“When the president of the United States visits your city, it should be exciting. We think a Trump visit will be, but for a lot of the wrong reasons, and we can’t welcome it,” the editorial read, according to Breitbart.

Judge gives the OK

Meanwhile, Politico reports that a pair of organizations in Tulsa have filed a lawsuit seeking to block the president from holding his rally Saturday, again out of concern about the risks posed by the coronavirus. The two organizations had demanded that the rally either be canceled or face strict guidelines in hopes of mitigating the spread of the disease.

For what it’s worth, the organizations claimed there was no political motivation behind the lawsuit — instead, they said they merely have a concern for the public health, and insisted that the lawsuit would have been filed just the same if presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden had scheduled a rally in the city instead of President Trump, according to Politico.

However, as Politico noted, the judge in the case denied the plaintiff’s requests on Tuesday, meaning the rally can go forward as planned — at least for now.

Looks like the left’s double standards won’t fly this time.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News