Classified documents found in Indiana home of former Vice President Mike Pence

It was revealed on Tuesday that more improperly stored classified documents were found in the private home of a former vice president, but in this case, it isn’t President Joe Biden who is facing potential legal trouble.

Rather, the cache of classified documents was discovered in the Carmel, Indiana home of former Vice President Mike Pence, the Conservative Brief reported.

Those documents, which by law are supposed to be stored in the National Archives, were said to have been immediately turned over to the FBI, and a Justice Department investigation into the matter has reportedly already commenced.

Pence retained classified documents

CNN reported Tuesday that former Vice President Mike Pence, “out of an abundance of caution,” had recently tasked a personal attorney with experience to handle classified materials, Matt Morgan, to search his Indiana home for any such documents that weren’t supposed to be there.

Morgan is said to have found four boxes of materials last week that contained around a dozen documents bearing classification markings that were mixed together with other non-classified documents, and both the FBI and National Archives were immediately notified.

The FBI reportedly sent agents to Pence’s home to retrieve the classified documents while the boxes of other materials were delivered to the National Archives on Monday by Pence’s legal team.

“Vice President Pence was unaware of the existence of sensitive or classified documents at his personal residence,” Pence’s designated representative Greg Jacob wrote in a Jan. 18 letter to the National Archives. “Vice President Pence understands the high importance of protecting sensitive and classified information and stands ready and willing to cooperate fully with the National Archives and any appropriate inquiry.”

CNN noted that, according to Pence’s personal attorney, the four boxes of materials had initially been transferred from the vice presidential residence at the Naval Observatory to his temporary home in Virginia, and then from there to his new home in Indiana. It was further revealed that the boxes were in an unsecured area but had remained taped up and were never unpacked over the past two years.

Pence previously denied taking classified documents

This revelation about former Vice President Pence’s unauthorized retention of classified documents is particularly stunning in light of comments he had made about exactly that in a November 2020 interview with ABC News about the FBI raid and threatened prosecution against former President Donald Trump’s retention of documents marked as classified at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

When asked directly by “World News Tonight” anchor David Muir if he’d ever taken classified documents out of the White House, Pence replied, “I did not.”

When asked if there were any reasons for anyone to take classified documents out of the White House, he said, “Well, there’d be no reason to have classified documents, particularly if they were in an unprotected area.

Pence further added with regard to the FBI raid on Trump’s home, “But I will tell you that I believe there had to be many better ways to resolve that issue than executing a search warrant at the personal residence of a former president of the United States.”

Trump says Pence is an “innocent man”

Interestingly enough, former President Trump has weighed in with a comment about the developing situation for his former vice president that was either a surprising defense or withering sarcasm, given the breakdown in their relationship following the disputed aftermath of the 2020 election and Jan. 6 Capitol riot of 2021.

In a post to his Truth Social account, Trump wrote on Tuesday, “Mike Pence is an innocent man. He never did anything knowingly dishonest in his life. Leave him alone!!!”

Latest News