First lady Melania Trump had been all set to make her first solo venture out on the campaign trail for her husband’s re-election effort later this month, but it now appears that isn’t going to happen, at least not anytime soon.
Politico reported that the first lady has canceled a fundraising event scheduled to be held on March 18 in Beverly Hills, California.
California fundraiser canceled
According to White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham, who formerly served as the first lady’s spokesperson, the event was canceled due to a “scheduling conflict.”
However, it is notable that the cancelation comes amid dramatically increased concerns about the rampant and widening spread of the new COVID-19 coronavirus and the fact that a “state of emergency” has been declared for the Los Angeles area.
The Beverly Hills event was to have been Melania Trump’s first solo fundraiser on behalf of the president and his 2020 campaign.
It is unclear at this point if and when that event will be rescheduled. Similarly, there is now some uncertainty as to whether another fundraiser event scheduled for March 25 at the Trumps’ Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida will go forward as planned.
“Women for Trump” bus tour scrapped
Meanwhile, Fox News reported that the Trump campaign has also canceled a planned three-day “Women for Trump” bus tour that was set to kick off on Monday and would have traveled to three crucial battleground states — Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania — to raise support for the president’s re-election bid.
Scheduled to take part in that bus tour were the president’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump, campaign spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany, and former White House communications official Mercedes Schlapp. The stated reason for the cancellation was also “scheduling conflicts,” but anonymous sources allegedly told The New York Times that concern over the coronavirus was the real reason for scrapping the bus tour.
Of note is the fact that Mercedes Schlapp is married to Matt Schlapp, head of the American Conservative Union organization that recently hosted the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland where it has now been confirmed that an attendee who interacted with Schlapp and others has since been diagnosed with the illness.
However, campaign spokeswoman Erin Perinne denied that report and said it was “untrue” that the bus tour had been canceled because of either Mercedes or Matt Schlapp.
Coronavirus puts plans in limbo
Given the fact that the coronavirus continues to spread and, despite efforts from the administration and state governments, it is unclear when the crisis will peak and pass. It also remains to be seen if these canceled events will simply be the first wave of broader cancellations of political fundraisers and rallies for the foreseeable future.
That said, hopefully, the campaign will figure out a way to continue doing the vital work necessary to expand support for President Trump ahead of the election, and these canceled events can be safely rescheduled in the not-too-distant future.