Biden’s DOJ is pursuing contempt of court charges against Trump: report

A newly-released report from CNN reveals that President Joe Biden’s Department of Justice (DOJ) is asking a judge to hold former President Donald Trump in contempt of court. 

This regards the ongoing documents dispute between the DOJ and Trump, which saw the unprecedented FBI raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate back in August.

What’s going on?

The DOJ maintains that former President Trump improperly took confidential documents from his administration and improperly stored them at his properties, including Mar-a-Lago. Trump disputes this, and he further argues that the DOJ’s motivation, here, is political.

The contempt charge, according to anonymous sources quoted by CNN, stems from a subpoena that the DOJ obtained over the summer. The subpoena required Trump to turn over documents marked as being classified.

Trump and his legal team say that they have complied with the subpoena. CNN reports:

. . . Trump’s legal team said it conducted searches at four locations just before Thanksgiving, finding two documents with classified markings at a storage facility in Florida. The Trump team turned over those two documents to the FBI and announced to a federal judge in Washington, DC, that they believed Trump was now in compliance with a 6-month-old subpoena.

The DOJ, however, is now disputing Trump’s compliance with the subpoena. CNN continues:

But the Justice Department disagreed. And in an escalation last week, department prosecutors told DC District Chief Judge Beryl Howell, who oversees federal grand jury proceedings there, that the searches weren’t satisfactory.

Accordingly, the DOJ is pursuing the contempt of court charge because Trump, in their view, did not comply with this subpoena.

Looking ahead

The contempt hearing is scheduled to take place on Friday. But, it will be held in private, as the matter is under seal.

We know what Trump and his team are going to argue, namely, that they conducted a proper search for the documents and handed over what they were supposed to hand over, all in compliance with the subpoena. We also know that the DOJ is going to argue the opposite – that Trump and his team failed to comply with the subpoena.

What we don’t know, however, is why exactly it is that the DOJ believes that Trump has not complied with the subpoena. This information has yet to be revealed.

If Trump is found in contempt, then it is expected that he will be fined.

“Unprecedented, illegal, and unwarranted”

Trump, himself, has not issued a statement on this particular part of the dispute.

Trump spokesman Steven Cheung, however, has.

“President Trump and his counsel continue to cooperate and be transparent, despite the unprecedented, illegal, and unwarranted attacks by the weaponized Department of Justice,” Cheung said.

Latest News