Biden says Trump should be cut off from intelligence briefings

Former President Donald Trump has to be furious about this one.

According to CBS NewsPresident Joe Biden said that the former president ought to be cut off from receiving U.S. intelligence briefings. 

“I think not”

When asked during a recent interview with CBS’ Norah O’Donnell whether he thinks Trump should still receive intelligence briefings, Biden responded, “I think not.”

When asked why, he replied, “Because of [Trump’s] erratic behavior unrelated to the insurrection.” O’Donnell continued, asking about the harm Biden thinks might occur if Trump continues to receive intelligence briefings.

“I’d rather not speculate out loud,” Biden said. “I just think that there is no need for him to have the intelligence briefings. What value is giving him an intelligence briefing? What impact does he have at all, other than the fact he might slip and say something?”

The full CBS interview is scheduled to be broadcast just before the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Background

Earlier this week, the White House revealed that it was reviewing whether or not to continue allowing Trump to receive intelligence briefings. Whether a former president gets to receive the intelligence briefings is a decision ultimately made by the current president.

The White House’s revelation that Biden was considering discontinuing Trump’s intelligence briefings came after Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) opined just before the Jan. 20 inauguration that Trump ought to be cut off from all classified information, Politico reported.

As a former U.S. president, Trump has been receiving U.S. intelligence briefings. The traditional practice is considered to be useful in case an event arises in which the current president believes it could be helpful to reach out to a former president for advice. Intelligence briefings are still given to former Presidents Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

First time

The New York Times reported that the Biden administration indicated Friday that it would indeed stop Trump from receiving the intelligence briefings.

The administration claimed that Trump cannot be trusted because of his “erratic behavior.”

The decision will mark the first time in history that a former president has been cut off from receiving intelligence briefings.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News