AG Barr lauds law enforcement for tracking down suspect in Portland protest shooting

In a deadly outbreak of violence last weekend during a protest in Portland, Oregon, a right-wing counterprotester was reportedly shot and killed by a radical leftist aligned with the antifa movement.

Law enforcement soon tracked down suspect Michael Forest Reinoehl, however, and he died in a shootout with officers attempting to serve his arrest warrant. U.S. Attorney General released a statement praising the effort and congratulating police for making American streets safer, as reported by Breitbart.

“Significant accomplishment”

Barr’s statement came on Friday, less than a week after Aaron ‘Jay’ Danielson was gunned down in Oregon.

“Reinoehl fled to Washington State, where he was located yesterday by members of a fugitive task force led by the U.S. Marshals Service, the FBI, and state and local law enforcement partners,” he continued. “When Reinoehl attempted to escape arrest and produced a firearm, he was shot and killed by law enforcement officers.”

The attorney general lauded authorities for the “significant accomplishment” of tracking the suspect down “in the ongoing effort to restore law and order to Portland and other cities.”

Furthermore, he cited “the outstanding cooperation among federal, state, and local law enforcement, particularly the fugitive task force team that located Reinoehl and prevented him from escaping justice” as integral to this week’s development.

As a result, Barr concluded that the “streets of our cities are safer” and presented the development as evidence that “the United States will be governed by law, not violent mobs.”

“I had no choice”

The fatal shooting took place just hours after Vice News published an interview with Reinoehl.

“You know, lots of lawyers suggest that I shouldn’t even be saying anything, but I feel it’s important that the world at least gets a little bit of what’s really going on,” he said.

In the interview, Reinoehl appeared to claim he had been defending a friend from impending violence.

“I had no choice,” he said. “I mean, I, I had a choice. I could have sat there and watched them kill a friend of mine of color. But I wasn’t going to do that.”

No early reports showed that Danielson had a weapon on him at the time of his death and it is possible that all the details of the deadly encounter in Portland will never come to light. As Barr acknowledged, though, law enforcement made the most of the evidence available to them at the time.

Share on facebook
Share to Facebook

Latest News