Authorities indicate Baldwin has not handed over cellphone despite search warrant

Alec Baldwin has been at the center of an investigation into a fatal shooting on the New Mexico set of the movie Rust.

The actor continues to fuel speculation and concerns about his actions that day as authorities now say that he has still not handed over his cellphone to investigators, the Washington Examiner reports.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, which is leading the probe into the October shooting, obtained a search warrant for Baldwin’s phone about a month ago.

“1,000 percent”

Reports indicate it was Baldwin who fired a prop gun in October that had somehow been loaded with live ammunition. The shooting resulted in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuries to director Joel Souza.

In December, a judge granted a search warrant allowing authorities to search Baldwin’s device for text messages, videos, or calls related to their investigation. As of the latest updates available, he had not given them his phone.

He posted an Instagram message on Saturday attempting to dispute claims that he was not cooperating with the investigation.

Calling such assertions “bulls***” and “a lie,” Baldwin said that he is “1,000 percent going to comply,” seeming to imply that he was not fully cooperating at that time.

“The only way we can honor the death of Halyna Hutchins is to find out the truth,” Baldwin said. “That’s what I’m working toward, insisting on, demanding that the organizations involved in this investigation do everything in their power to find out what really happened. That’s all that matters.”

“Simply untrue”

Reports indicate the Santa Fe district attorney’s office had been negotiating with Baldwin’s attorney as of Dec. 20 in an effort “to obtain consent to retrieve the phone and its contents.”

Those negotiations appear to still be ongoing. As the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office explained in a statement on Thursday: “To date, the cellphone has not been turned over to authorities.”

According to Fox News, Baldwin is expected to turn over his device within the next week, which could lead to new details about the circumstances leading up to Hutchins’ death.

As attorney Aaron Dyer argued on behalf of his client: “Ever since this tragic incident, Mr. Baldwin has continued to cooperate with the authorities, and any suggestion to the contrary is simply untrue.”

Latest News