‘Appalling and shocking’: Biden reportedly provided Taliban with names of would-be evacuees

Among the troubling aspects of President Joe Biden’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan is the acknowledgment that U.S. forces now rely on the Taliban to help provide security amid a chaotic evacuation attempt.

Making matters worse, a new bombshell report reveals that the Biden administration actually provided the Taliban with a list of names of Americans, Afghan allies, and others who hoped to flee the country, ostensibly to facilitate their safe passage through armed checkpoints.

“Makes you feel unclean”

According to the Daily Wire, the revelation sparked renewed criticism of the Biden administration — including some in the mainstream media and the Democratic Party.

When pressed on the issue during a press conference on Thursday, Biden did not deny the allegation and even acknowledged it was likely true, though he claimed not to know any pertinent details.

In its own report, which was the first on the subject, Politico cited three unnamed sources in the White House and Congress who revealed that the list of names had been given to the Taliban.

The purported intent of that decision was to help “expedite the evacuations” of thousands of would-be evacuees. Critics argue, however, that those individuals included on the list are now in grave danger of retaliation by Taliban fighters.

“Basically, they just put all those Afghans on a kill list,” one official who spoke with Politico determined. “It’s just appalling and shocking and makes you feel unclean.”

“It could very well have happened”

Another source told Politico that the list of names was necessary “because of the security situation the White House created by allowing the Taliban to control everything outside the airport.”

Biden himself admitted that there “have been occasions when our military has contacted their military counterparts in the Taliban,” noting as an example that a bus traveling with a certain number of people should be allowed to pass.

“So, yes, there have been occasions like that,” the president said, according to a White House transcript. “But I can’t tell you with any certitude that there’s actually been a list of names. I don’t — there may have been, but I know of no circumstance. It doesn’t mean it’s not — it didn’t exist, that, ‘Here’s the names of 12 people; they’re coming. Let them through.’ It could very well have happened.”

National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horne provided a brief statement on the matter that effectively rehashed Biden’s muddled response.

“It is unfortunate that the White House was not asked for comment or explanation on such a serious issue,” she said, according to Politico. “Had Politico asked us we would have given the same answer the president shared with the nation today: that in limited cases we have shared information with the Taliban that has successfully facilitated evacuations from Kabul.”

Latest News